“When Does A Woman Owe You Sex?” [#geekgirl]
“Inspire Her Mind” [#geekgirl]
“Set aside the barbie dolls and the disney princesses for just a moment… [#geekgirl]
…and let’s show our girls the REAL women they can be.”
The Royal Society Women in Science Edit-a-thon [#geekgirl]
[Via HASTAC] “The Royal Society Women in Science Edit-a-thon: Friday, October 11, 2013 – 11:00am – Saturday, October 12, 2013 – 2:00am.
- Date: Friday 11 October 2013; in two parts – editathon runs 13.15-18.00; panel 18.30-20.30.
- Venue: The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace London SW1Y 5AG
- Book: HERE - there are 15 places for the editathon, and 100 for the panel discussion
- Cost: Free
- Twitter hashtag: #WISWIKI
- Resources to edit: see below
- Participants: The editing session is for Wikipedia newcomers to learn how to edit or anyone wanting to contribute. Female editors particularly encouraged to attend. Panel open to anyone interested in Women in Science topic.
We welcome participants to communicate with us online:
- Twitter hashtag: #WomenSciWP
- @wikimediauk, @royalsociety
- IRC: #wikimedia-uk
- We have been granted a free open online access to the Royal Society’s biographical memoirs and all of the journals for 24 hours on 11th October (midnight to midnight BST) available to anyone at all. (Terms and conditions will still apply, in particular section 6 on prohibited use).
- MRC has created a guide of how to search for biographical information for this series of events see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Icons-mini-file_acro…); padding-right: 18px; background-position: 100% 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;”>here.
- Useful resources for editing articles about the Royal Society Fellows are here.
- A general useful resource is the Archives of Women in Science and Engineering at Iowa State University.”
Announcing “#PRISOM”, A Synthetic Reality Surveillance Game [#geekgirl]
So we (meaning Mez Breeze Design) can finally let the (Schrödinger’s?) cat out of the very tightly zipped bag: we’re *extremely* excited to officially announce our latest co-production with Dreaming Methods: “#PRISOM“. #PRISOM is a Synthetic Reality Game where a player is set loose in a Glass City under infinite surveillance. Will you be brave enough to enter?
The project is making its début at (and is funded by) the “MARart4 Transreal Topologies Exhibition” as part of #ISMAR2013, the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality in conjunction with SA Uni’s Wearable Computer Lab. So if you’re keen to don a HMD (Head-Mounted Display) and throw yourself into #PRISOM, head to the Adelaide City East Campus of the University of South Australia on October 1-4th.
Rails Girls Canberra [#geekgirl]
Rails Girls Canberra, 9-10th August 2013
Rails Girls has arrived in Canberra! This free two-day workshop will introduce you to the magical world of Ruby on Rails – the platform behind some of the best sites on the web. Learn to build great things quickly – no experience required.
Apply now — Applications close July 29th [today!].
#Barbie Reimagined with Actual Average Female Proportions [#geekgirl]
How A #Barbie #Body Measures Up To Real Bodies [#geekgirl]
Can you help with #tooFEW? [#geekgirl]
“We’re organizing another wikipedia edit session, called Feminists Engage Wikipedia, or #tooFEW. I’ve seen a few announcements about #tooFEW on here, but wanted to put out a call/plea for help tomorrow. The event has become WAY larger than any of us anticipated, with 5 in-person sessions and a big virtual component. Almost everyone is a first-time editor, with a few experienced people guiding the way.
We’ve developed a chatroom for asking questions, sharing resources or just meeting other folks. If you’ve participated in another edit-a-thon, or have some experience editing Wikipedia or negotiating disputes that arise, we’d love to have you in the chatroom as a resource! And if you want to take your first editing steps with us, jump in!”
Friday, March 15th
11am – 3pm EST
Collaborative wiki for resources, keeping tabs of blogs on #tooFEW, etc.:
Official Wikipedia page – please register here:
#femalepressure: An Urgent Call for #Female Representation [#geekgirl]
“Let’s be frank – enough is enough. femalepressure believes there is no justification for more male-dominated music events. We need – and paying audiences deserve – invigorating and entertaining diversity!
Festival curators, sponsors, label owners, journalists: Give more opportunities to women!
Female festival curators, sponsors, label owners, journalists: Don’t try to be the better men by only taking ‘risks’ on established, male artists! Give more women a chance!
We look forward to your response and positive developments in this cultural sector in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding this issue.
Here’s to a brighter future for the arts.”